A French farmer who nearly died at the hands of a knife-wielding jihadist, who was supposed to be under house arrest, has slammed “double standards” from the media and criminal justice system concerning his case.
The Lot-et-Garonne farmer, who was left in a serious condition after being stabbed several times on June 18, told Le Figaro he has his young assistant to thank for still being alive today.
“I saw [the attacker] preparing his blade, and shouting ‘Allahu akhbar’ or, I don’t even know what’,” he said, adding that without his assistant “the jihadist would have finished me, and had me dead on the ground”.
The 58-year-old left hospital last week with 23 stitches and a permit entitling him to almost a month’s ‘disability from work’ insurance.
But, left with psychological scars from the attack, the Frenchman saw the lack of media attention garnered from his ordeal as “double punishment”, complaining there are different rules when it comes to attacks on politicians compared to attacks on regular people.
“The media would have had plenty to say, had I been jostling with my political views in the streets. But hey…
De redactie van deze site modereert niet de reacties op voorhand, opdat u openlijk en direct met elkaar kunt discussiëren. U bent zelf verantwoordelijk voor wat u schrijft in het reactieveld. Het recht om de wet te overtreden, het oproepen tot moord, doodsverwensingen en dergelijke, is echter voorbehouden aan de redactie. Als we dan toch voor de rechter moeten verschijnen, staan we daar liever zelf dan dat we gedwongen worden uw e-mail-adres en IP-nummer af te geven onder bedreiging van overheidsgeweld. Dus houd je een beetje in of wees creatief.