A man was arrested after trying to drive a car into a crowd in front of a mosque in the Paris suburb of Creteil on Thursday, police said, adding that no one was injured.
Police said the man’s motives were unclear, and that he had not succeeded in driving into the crowd because of barriers placed in front of the mosque.
The incident took place at about 18:30 local time (16:30 GMT) in the suburb of Créteil and no-one was hurt.
The man was apparently thwarted by barriers put up to protect the mosque.
According to Le Parisien newspaper, the man said he had wanted to avenge attacks linked to ISIS that have killed dozens in Paris over the past years.
- France: Man arrested after attempting to plow into outside mosque in Paris suburb
- Man is arrested for ‘trying to drive into crowds outside Paris mosque’
Europe has seen a number of vehicle attacks in the past year, many by those claiming allegiance to IS;
Timeline: Vehicle ramming attacks in Europe
- 14 July 2016, Nice, France: A man drove a lorry for 2km (1.2 miles) through a large crowd gathered to watch Bastille Day fireworks in Nice. Eighty-six people were killed, and more than 300 injured
- 19 December 2016, Berlin, Germany: A man drove a lorry through the crowded Breitscheidplatz Christmas market, killing 12 people and injuring 49. IS said one of its “soldiers” carried out the attack
- 22 March 2017, London, UK: Six people died and at least 50 were injured when a car mounted the pavement on London’s Westminster Bridge and drove at high speed through pedestrians. The attacker then entered the parliament complex on foot and fatally stabbed a police officer, before being shot
- April 7 2017, Stockholm, Sweden: Four people were killed when a lorry crashed into the front of a department store. The Uzbek driver was arrested and confessed to a “terrorist crime”
- 3 June 2017, London, UK: Eight people were killed when three attackers drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge and launched a knife attack in Borough Market. The attackers were shot dead
- 19 June 2017, London, UK: A man was arrested on suspicion of terror offences after he drove a van into a group of worshippers close to a mosque in north London. One man died
- La mosquée de Créteil attaquée à la voiture bélier / Créteil (94) – France 29 juin 2017
De redactie van deze site modereert niet de reacties op voorhand, opdat u openlijk en direct met elkaar kunt discussiëren. U bent zelf verantwoordelijk voor wat u schrijft in het reactieveld. Het recht om de wet te overtreden, het oproepen tot moord, doodsverwensingen en dergelijke, is echter voorbehouden aan de redactie. Als we dan toch voor de rechter moeten verschijnen, staan we daar liever zelf dan dat we gedwongen worden uw e-mail-adres en IP-nummer af te geven onder bedreiging van overheidsgeweld. Dus houd je een beetje in of wees creatief.