- “The better young people are integrated, the greater the chance is that they radicalize. This hypothesis is supported by a lot of evidence”. — From a report by researchers at Erasmus University in Rotterdam.
- “The proportions of [Islamic State] administrators but also of suicide fighters increase with education,” according to a World Bank report. “Moreover, those offering to become suicide bombers ranked on average in the more educated group.”
- Britain’s MI5 revealed that “two-thirds of the British suspects have a middle-class profile and those who want to become suicide bombers are often the most educated”.
- Researchers have discovered that “the richer the countries are the more likely will provide foreign recruits to the terrorist group [ISIS].”
- The West seems to have trouble accepting that terrorists are not driven by inequality, but by hatred for Western civilization and the Judeo-Christian values of the West.
- For the Nazis, the “inferior race” (the Jews) did not deserve to exist; for the Stalinists, the “enemies of the people” were not entitled to continue living; for the Islamists, it is the West itself that does not deserve to exist.
- It is anti-Semitism, not poverty, that led the Palestinian Authority to name a school after Abu Daoud, mastermind of the massacre of Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics.
“There is a stereotype that young people from Europe who leave for Syria are victims of a society that does not accept them and does not offer them sufficient opportunities… Another common stereotype in the debate in Belgium is that, despite research which refutes this, radicalization is still far too often misunderstood as a process resulting from failed integration… I therefore dare say that the better young people are integrated, the greater the chance is that they radicalize. This hypothesis is supported by a lot of evidence.”
That was the result of extremely important Dutch research, led by a group of academics at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam. Terrorists seem to be models of successful integration: for instance, Mohammed Bouyeri, the Moroccan-Dutch terrorist who shot the filmmaker Theo van Gogh to death, then stabbed him and slit his throat in 2004. “He [Bouyeri] was a well-educated guy with good prospects,” said Job Cohen, the Labor Party mayor of Amsterdam.
|Terrorists seem to be models of successful integration. Mohammed Bouyeri (left), the Moroccan-Dutch terrorist who shot the filmmaker Theo van Gogh (right) to death, then stabbed him and slit his throat in 2004. “[Bouyeri] was a well-educated guy with good prospects,” said Job Cohen, the mayor of Amsterdam.|
The Dutch research was followed by research from France, adding more evidence to the thesis that goes against the liberal belief that to defeat terrorism, Europe must invest in economic opportunities and social integration. Dounia Bouzar, director of the Center for Prevention, Deradicalization and Individual Monitoring (CPDSI), a French organization dealing with Islamic radicalism, studied the cases of 160 families whose children had left France to fight in Syria. Two-thirds were members of the middle class.
Artikel door Giulio Meotti
Zin om dit artikel te vertalen zodat wij dit in het Nederlands op onze site kunnen plaatsen? Graag, ga je gang en plaats de vertaling bij reacties dan plaats ik deze als jouw artikel op Fenixx.
De redactie van deze site modereert niet de reacties op voorhand, opdat u openlijk en direct met elkaar kunt discussiëren. U bent zelf verantwoordelijk voor wat u schrijft in het reactieveld. Het recht om de wet te overtreden, het oproepen tot moord, doodsverwensingen en dergelijke, is echter voorbehouden aan de redactie. Als we dan toch voor de rechter moeten verschijnen, staan we daar liever zelf dan dat we gedwongen worden uw e-mail-adres en IP-nummer af te geven onder bedreiging van overheidsgeweld. Dus houd je een beetje in of wees creatief.